Mission and Philosophy at Special Beginnings
Special Beginnings is a licensed, CABC accredited, free-standing birth center located in Arnold, Maryland. We are staffed by experienced certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and we are proud to offer comprehensive health and wellness care for women.
Our services include:
- Full prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care
- General gynecological services and Annual Well Woman Exams
- Classes for new and expectant mothers
We provide women with a wide range of safe and comfortable labor and birth choices with a certified nurse-midwife at the birth center, as well as with your certified nurse-midwife in the affiliated hospital.
Your birth choices include:
- Birth at the birth center, in one of three comfortable birth suites
- Water birth at the birth center
- Birth at the nearby Anne Arundel Medical Center, with the full support of your certified nurse-midwife
Comfortable, Home-Like Setting
It is important that you relax as much as possible and are comfortable during your labor and birth. For this reason, our center’s birth suites feature home-like amenities such as:
- Comfortable furnishings
- Two Jacuzzi tubs
- A whirlpool bath available before and during your delivery
This may be your first child or perhaps you are welcoming a new addition to your family. Our goal is to make your childbirth experience as safe, memorable, and family-oriented as possible. We want do more than prepare you for this joyous occasion. We are excited to share this special beginning with you.
Safety and Accreditation
Our birth center program gives you confidence in your ability to give birth, balancing human touch, and the latest medical technology.
You’ll develop a special relationship with our caring and experienced certified nurse-midwives (CNM). They will attend to your care and develop a relationship with you and your baby. Your certified nurse-midwife will be with you from pre-conception counseling through post-partum, and after birth home visits.
Special Beginnings is accredited by the Commission for the Accreditation of Birth Centers.
The Special Beginnings Birth and Women’s Center focuses on:
- Health and safety
- Choices and freedom
- Personal touch
Why do women and their families choose Special Beginnings Birth & Women’s Center?
- Freedom to choose where to labor and birth (birth center or hospital)
- Welcoming home-like environment
- Low-tech, high touch approach to care
- Much lower cesarean section rate
- To avoid unnecessary intervention
- Enjoy the comforts of a Jacuzzi in labor and have the option of waterbirth
- Share birth with children, family, and friends
- To birth in a setting designed for healthy women
- For the care, teaching, and nurturing midwives provide
- To enable fathers and significant others to fully participate
- To give birth — not be delivered — in privacy, peace, and dignity
- To avoid separation from the newborn