We are happy to answer your questions about payment and insurance. We review your insurance plan to verify your benefits and provide you with a payment plan that includes:
- estimated out-of-pocket expenses for you
- estimated expenses that you can expect your insurance company to cover
- due dates for payments
For self-pay clients, we help you set up a payment plan and offer a substantial ‘prompt pay discount’ when fees are paid by the 32nd week of pregnancy. Contact us today to ask a question about payment.
Payment Due Dates
All self-pay fees, deductibles, cost share, co-pays, and expected out-of-pocket fees are due by the 34th week of pregnancy.
Birth Centers and Health Insurance
Birth centers throughout the United States are covered by most insurers. We are currently contracted with most insurers in Maryland to maximize coverage for your care at the birth center.
There is a significant advantage to insurers to cover birth center births.
- The cost of a birth center stay is much less than the cost of a typical hospital stay.
- Because the chance of a mother having a cesarean birth is so much lower at the birth center, the added risk of surgery and a longer hospital stay is avoided by the insurer.
Participating Insurance Companies
Below is a partial list of participating insurance companies. Special Beginnings accepts most health insurance plans.
If we are out-of-network with your insurance, please call Tammi Burk, Office Manager (ph: 410-626-8982), during regular office hours to find out what can be covered.
- Beech Street
- CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield
- First Health
- Employer Health Plan
- Maryland Medicaid
- Medicaid MCO’s
- Amerigroup Community Care MCO
- Maryland Physicians Care MCO
- Priority Partners MCO
- University of Maryland Health Partners MCO (formerly Riverside HealthCare)
- United HealthCare Community Plan MCO
- If you are enrolled in different MCO please call the office
- Tricare Prime & Tricare Select (formerly Standard)
- United HealthCare (Optimum Choice, MDIPA)
- The birth center is out-of-network
- United HealthCare Integrated Services (formerly GEHA)
- The birth center is out-of-network
- US Family Health Plan
If you have questions about payment and insurance, or if your insurance provider is not listed here, please call Tammi Burk, Office Manager (ph: 410-626-8982), during regular office hours.
Please contact your insurance provider prior to your first appointment to confirm that you have:
- Maternity coverage
- Coverage for Certified Nurse-Midwives
- Coverage for care provided at a free-standing Birth Center
After your first appointment, we will verify your insurance coverage and benefits. At your second appointment, we will provide you with a financial commitment form that we will discuss with you.
Meet Tammi Burk, LPN, CMOM, CMC, CMIS
Special Beginnings Office Manager
Tammi Burk enjoys the challenge of maximizing benefits for you and reimbursement for Special Beginnings from your health insurance carrier.
She joined Special Beginnings in 1998 as the only full-time office staff and helped with patient care as an LPN. Today Tammi is the Office Manager and occasionally assists with bra fittings and breast pump rental at our Breastfeeding Boutique, as well as patient care. She primarily works with payments and insurance.
Tammi grew up in a military family and moved frequently as a military wife. She has two grown daughters.
Tammi’s Credentials and Certifications
- Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Northern Maine Vocational Institute, 1985
- Bachelor of Science (BS), Health Care Management, Towson State University, 1996
- Practice Management Institute Certifications:
- Medical Office Manager (CMOM)
- Medical Coder (CMC)
- Medical Insurance Specialist (CMIS)