Imagine giving birth where you are most comfortable, in a birth center or hospital, guided by a certified nurse-midwife (CNM) who has supported you through the journey of pregnancy and shares the excitement of this event. Your new baby emerges to the loving welcome of a warm, compassionate, and joyful world.
At Special Beginnings Birth and Women’s Center, our focus is on the highest quality care, safety, and education so that your focus can be on your dreams for you and your family. We’ll help you become a more informed and active participant in your own health care.
The Choice is Yours
Special Beginnings supports your freedom to choose to labor in a number of ways, including:
- One of three comfortable birth rooms at our birth center
- Waterbirth in one of our two Jacuzzis or a deep birth pool
- Moving around in whatever ways make you comfortable
- At the nearby hospital (Anne Arundel Medical Center)
Whatever you determine is the right birth option for you, our highly skilled and caring team of professionals will be with you through your pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum care.
Safety and Quality Care
Our team of certified nurse-midwives are available 24 hours a day to advise and assist you with any questions or concerns that arise along the way. Our consulting physicians are always available to the midwifery team as needed.
Our support and care at Special Beginnings also includes:
- Prenatal visits
- Classes that supplement your natural childbirth education
- Postpartum care after the birth:
- Right away: maximizing time spent between you and your baby in those first hours
- Within 24 hours of returning home: a call from your midwife
- 3 days later: a home visit
- 2 weeks later: a follow-up call
- 6 weeks later: a comprehensive office visit
- Ongoing breastfeeding advice and support from our certified nurse-midwives and lactation consultants.